Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Market Madness



Today I visited my local farmer's market, as I do every Tuesday.  This one happens to be in Todos Santos Plaza in Concord- it runs on Tuesdays from 10-2pm and Thursday evenings from 4-8pm.  I love picking up as much as I can from the market because the selection is insane, the flavor that comes from the produce tops all store bought product and the prices are ridiculous.  Today I gathered the following in my basket, spending a minimal $30...

1 cluster of organic vine tomatoes
2 bunches of green onions
1 pound of red potatoes
1 HUGE head of cauliflower
2 of the biggest artichokes I've ever laid eyes on
1 pound of brussel sprouts
1 bunch of fresh spinach
1/2 lb. bag of mixed organic greens
1 bunch of basil on on the stems
1/2 lb. of crimini mushrooms
1/2 lb. of white mushrooms
1/2 dozen organic extra large brown eggs
1 clump of radishes
1 bulb of garlic
6 bulbs of shallot
3 sweet limes
1/2 bag of our new favorite beef jerky from www.mamamiasbeefjerky.com

Needless to say, I left pretty darn satisfied (and my bike basket was stuffed.)  The one thing I'll mention is that the market is lacking a meat/poultry/fish vendor.  That would be ideal, but I imagine the logistics are probably pretty complicated.  Here's the link to the Concord Farmer's Market so you can check out the vendor listings and concerts that will be happening all summer.

I've recently discovered Ranch 99 Market.  This market is located in the Park-n-Shop center on Willow Pass Road in Concord.  It is, by far, the most mind-boggling Chinese supermarket I've ever walked into.  A friend recommended that I try shopping there for hard to find spices, noodles and oils.  The first time I visited I was searching for fresh fish.  Boy, did I find it.  Their selection of fish, meats and poultry makes every other grocery store pale in comparison.  Also, take a walk down their spice aisle... More than you could possibly imagine.  Today I purchased sushi grade tuna, chicken breasts, fresh seaweed salad, authentic chili sauce, chow mein noodles, high end soy sauce and sesame oil to use in my dinner dishes this evening.  What a treat!  All fresh and ready to prepare.

Day one of "Fresh Food Only" month has proven to be quite satiating.  I'm looking forward to cooking tonight and the rest of this month... More to come tomorrow!!

Best,
B



2 comments:

  1. :))

    I feel you with farmer's markets. I finally branched out away from the Davis FM to the Sacramento version (one of them), in this huge parking lot. Amazing - herbs, root veggies, winter squash (butternut squash soup mmm)... excellent

    so good to see you - it's been such a long time. bring on the receipes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Todos santos farmer's market is awesome and they actually have a meat/chicken vendor but I think they only show up on Thursdays or something. I know I've seen them there.

    ReplyDelete