Monday, May 7, 2012

Jucy or Juicy (?) Lucy.





Now I know this next concoction might not sound as healthy as it should, but after running six miles today and bicycling three, I'm in need of some serious protein. I also woke up with the unbearable craving for a cheeseburger. I got out of bed, went to the gym, ran some errands, took our little blind pug for a walk, etc.  The whole time I couldn't help but think to myself, "Mmmm cheeseburger." I could've easily made the 25 minute trek to the closest In-N-Out burger but I decided that I must stick to my guns and prepare my own version according to my May standards. I didn't say anything about this being overly healthy May, I said it had to be fresh food. I managed to find some 100% grass fed organic extra lean beef, some local organic cheese and a bunch of fresh produce from the market to help me out with this one... 

We originally got the idea to make "Jucy Lucy's" by watching Anthony Bourdain's 'No Reservations' while on a snowboarding trip in Tahoe.  He was visiting Minneapolis and stopped by the well known roadside diner, "Matt's Bar", where they were happy to serve him a giant cheese filled burger that made all of us drool just staring at the TV.  There is an entire side story to the Jucy Lucy, a rivalry between two neighboring diner/bars that you can read about online.  Who invented it?  That's still up for discussion- all I can tell you is that it's spelled Jucy Lucy at one joint and Juicy Lucy at the other.  It's an interesting read, check it on Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jucy_Lucy).  Seeing as I was surrounded by hungry dudes that weekend, we immediately rushed to the grocery store to try and duplicate the squishy, molten filled dream of a cheeseburger.  We were successful, and covered in grease, but happy as pigs in mud.  I've been hooked ever since.

The concept is really simple.

*Wannabe Jucy Lucy's* (big 1/2 pounders!)
1 lb. 100% grass fed extra lean beef
1 brick cheese of choice
1 vine ripe tomato, sliced
1/2 yellow onion, sliced & grilled golden brown
Sliced pickles
1/2 cup of mustard
Several leaves of red leaf lettuce
Salt/pepper to taste
Sliced artisanal bread or store bought buns

Making a burger is pretty darn easy, so I won't get into too many details.  Basically, break the pound of beef into four pieces, blend mustard into meat and shape into 1/2 inch thick patties.  Slice cheese, place 3 to 4 pieces on top of one patty, then take a second patty and stack on top.  Pinch edges of patties together forming a sort of cheese pouch.  Place in broiler for 5 minutes each side, flipping only once.  Throw on a bun and top with your favorite classic condiments.  **Caution: the cheese inside of the burger will be VERY hot, so it's advised that you let it sit a few minutes before chomping into it.  I know, it's hard to resist.**

The end result of this recipe is an ooey, gooey, greasy mouthful of good ol' Americana tastiness.  If you are really looking to gorge yourself on awesome, mix it up and throw a slice of a completely different cheese on top just for good measure.  Hey, why not?  Indulge a little!

Hmm.  Maybe I should've bought more beef?

Love,
B



   
 

No comments:

Post a Comment