Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Tuesday Tidbits.



I managed to get a lot of sleep last night again, so I woke up at the crack of dawn feeling rather sporty and spectacular.  I went on a brisk 6 mile run and probably could have lasted longer but instead was invited to lunch by one of my best friends, the elusive Mr. Sun.  I let him know that I had to visit the market first but would be very happy to join him for an afternoon meal- the weather is gorgeous, I'm  in a great mood and who wouldn't like to lounge and chat with a friend over yummy food?

I hustled to the market and found it quite busy today.  I think that the heat and sun brings people out in the east bay, perhaps opposite of other cities.  When it's above 80 degrees with a slight wind, Concordians come out in droves.  It's an excuse to put on a sundress and flip flops, leave the sleeves at home and enjoy some good ol' fashioned summertime fun.  For those of you who can't make it to the regular PCFMA Tuesday market in Todos Santos Plaza (runs from 10am-2pm every Tuesday year round), make sure to try and stop by on Thursday nights (runs from 4-8pm every Th) , same location.  There is great outdoor entertainment, food vendors, your regular farmers and a delightful crowd to spend the evening with. 

Definitely noticing some new goods out there- CORN!  Yay, get your fresh gold and white corn, husked in person just for you at the market.  Also noticed a ton of pepper varieties, which makes me giddy.  I bought some super hot Thai chili's today that I can't wait to combine with my lo mein noodles and garlic tonight for the hubbs.  Also, Saturn peaches are finally showing up and in high demand.  The hubbs *must* have Saturn peaches on hand at all times in our house.  I'm thinking of slicing a few of them up to use on pork this week... Can you say yum?  Asparagus has virtually disappeared but the arrival of squash has made me smile.  There is something so inherently "summer" about squash varietals.  Along with onions, okra, blackberries, lemongrass and greens there are so many choices out there!

I love that I am finally seeing seasonal changes at the market as well.  I walked up today and noticed that sweetpeas have arrived at the flower vendor and that strawberries are starting to taper off.  Oranges are popping up with lemons, limes and starfruit.  Eating seasonally actually helps maintain your inner balance according to the farmers I've spoken with.  If you are conscious of what is available, fresh, at a certain time of year, your body tunes in to that.  I find it to be true.

For the last 6 months I have been eating only farm fresh foods.  Primarily no fast foods, processed foods or "junk" foods.  Fats have been limited to natural (meat fats) and olive oil- with the exception of certain ice creams and Milkduds, of course, c'mon I'm only human.  I have never felt so in tune with the agricultural calendar, honestly.  It's almost as if my body has adjusted and craves almost exactly what is "in season." 

This week I am concentrating on smoothies & soups.  I will complete an entire article on this venture, but this week I'm trying to detox and keep things simple.  Fruits & veggies only, either in smoothie or soup form.  I'm also training like a bandit in order to keep my running stamina up.  The hubbs is lucky though, I will still be cooking for him.  Tonight he is having Ahi poke, salmon sashimi and Thai pepper garlic noodles.  I'm jealous, but I feel amazing because I have recently made some lifestyle adjustments that have been well worth it.  I am happy, healthy and feeling great.



Picked up some blackberries, blueberries, raspberries, tomatoes, green onions, cauliflower, broccoli, mushrooms, eggs, Thai chili and Saturn peaches today!

I think that's all for now, happy B4th to everyone, enjoy your patriotic holiday!!
B

P.S.  Mama Mia's Beef Jerky, where for art thou?  We've missed you at the market.     

 

No comments:

Post a Comment