Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Market Watch.



Hello out there to all you farmer's market junkies!  I just wanted to shoot out a new post letting everyone know that NOW is the time to hit up your local farmer's markets... The food is bountiful, practically overflowing from vendors stalls and prices are insanely affordable due to the bursting summer season's fruits, veggies and flowers.  Just today I visited the Todos Santos Farmer's Market and came home armloads of goodies...

I bought  a bushel of fire-orange dahlia's (I couldn't resist!) along with two tufts of sweetpea and a few stems of a gorgeous purple flower that I didn't catch the name of.  The flowers are awesome during this time of year, absolutely gorgeous and fragrant.  I also picked up some fresh lettuces, garlic, yellow onions, yukon potatoes, green onions and my favorite, 3 pounds of assorted peppers.  I grabbed serrano, anaheim, jalapeno, poblano, bell and Thai chili's- all for only $1.50!  Apparently peppers are relatively light-weight, so I took total advantage because I adore them.



I also found some California Crazy Curd "Lonely Goat Garlic" cheese from Achadinha Cheese Company-  a great cheese for melting into mashed potatoes or on top of a nice, crusty bread.  We'll be using this in our beef tacos tomorrow night.



Later this week, I'll be making some fresh crab cakes, that I plan on topping with Bistro Blend of Napa Valley's "Hot Bistro Oil"- a blend of balsamic vinegar, extra virgin olive oil, garlic and peppers.  Great for dipping, stir-fry or as a saute oil on meats and seafood.  Yum.

That's all I really have for today, just some fun info on local finds.  Coming up this week I'll be reviewing La Note in Berkeley and Toast in Oakland.  Can't wait!

Happy Tuesday,
B

No comments:

Post a Comment