Wednesday, April 17, 2013

DC Part Two.

I'm back in action after a enjoyable birthday weekend- one that left me with a wicked, wicked cold... Thus, I am stuck on my couch in my pj's with hot tea and really overcooked Kraft macaroni & cheese.  On a positive note, it gives me time to write more about our DC trip, between dozing off and blowing my nose that is.

As the hubbs left for his first full day of AACR, I set out on foot for a whopping 9 mile adventure, rambling the streets in flip-flops and sunglasses.  This day was definitely more about visiting monuments than restaurants.  The weather was magnificent, an unusual 75 degrees for April.  We lucked out, because with that weather, came the breathtaking National Cherry Blossom Festival, a celebration of the thousands of blossoming trees lining the streets, parks and monuments all throughout the city.  Ladies and gentlemen, the blossoms...






It was impossible not to let your jaw drop at this spectacle of mother nature.  I've never seen anything like it.  The trees took on a life of their own, some fat and fluffy with darker magenta flowers, some light and airy with tiny white buds.  At times it felt as though I was walking through forests of cotton candy, silently flitting their petals in the spring breeze.  It's easy to imagine as you walk along, a certain feeling of... heaven.  An almost unbearable beauty that was being photographed by every single person surrounding me.  If there is a time of year you are thinking of visiting Washington D.C, be sure to visit during this ethereal season.



Not only are the cherry blossoms in full show, but the equally as gorgeous DC magnolia trees are in doing the their best to compete with their world-famous flora friends.  I found some of the most lovely trees closest to The White House.  Along with the ogling of flowering plants, I became accustomed to every passing tourist proclaim, "It's so much smaller in person!" as they set eyes on Mr. President's home.  It's strange feeling to be standing in front of this little palace, watching others see it for the first time.  What made it particularly intriguing for me this time around, was the presence of a singular Muezzin, calling to prayer, standing dead center and alone on Pennsylvania Avenue.  His presence was impossible not to stop and observe, a wailing, eery cry that echoed through Lafayette Square and the surrounding streets.  I stopped, listened and watched the people around me looking puzzled by this character, dressed in his traditional garb, hands raised to the sky.  The avenue has been closed for years, and even with hundreds of people milling about, it feels quiet and sombre.  A moment in time that will stay with me for a a long while.  

   

I sat on a park bench in the square for about an hour, people watching with a popsicle in hand, pleased to learn that the good people of DC have a just as much of a sweet-tooth as I do.  Can't complain about ice cream trucks on every corner, especially in the sweltering heat.  I continued my walk, heading towards the National Mall, passing by the Eisenhower Building and stopping in at the Renwick Gallery to take a peek at the Smithsonian American Art exhibit.  If only I could've taken photos inside-- what a wonderful collection.
The Washington Monument with it's facelift gear on-  looking good obelisk, looking good!

I heart Abe.

Upon my arrival to the National Mall, I was completely taken aback by the amount of people in the park that day.  I don't know why, it was perfect outside.  I love visiting the mall.  The Lincoln Memorial is probably one of my favorite places to visit in the U.S.  There's nothing like sitting at his feet, watching the world go by as thousands of people come up, touch him and smile, cry or just stare in awe.  Such a moving monument- it took my breath away at 13 and more recently at 34, and I hope it never stops doing so.  A place that makes you think and feel like maybe people are still generally good, or at least that there is hope that we are.  Not a bad way to spend an afternoon in DC.

More to come...

Be well,
B    




No comments:

Post a Comment