Thursday, January 10, 2013

Hitting the Road.


Today has been quite a satisfying, productive day so far.  I've managed to accomplish my exercise goals (about 2.5 miles!), get some last minute errands done and now I'm packing for this weekend's adventure.  That's right people, I'm getting the heck out of dodge for a couple days and I'm headed south- good ol' Southern California.  I'm setting off on the lighthearted pilgrimage down with a friend to attend the The Fabulous Beekman Boys (Josh Kilmer-Purcell and Brent Ridge) meet & greet being held at the Williams-Sonoma in Beverly Hills on Saturday.  When I saw the boys were making a guest appearance and signing books, I grabbed my copies of The Bucolic Plague and The Beekman 1802 Heirloom Cookbook, text messaged a pal and set plans in motion.  Yes, I'm a big fan.

Ah yes... The "wedding" photo.  Typical goofballs.

I'll be travelling with my dear friend Jeff, a fellow I've known for over ten years now.  When I sent him a message about going for a weekend drive, he immediately responded with a resounding, "Yes!"  That's what I love about the guy- he's pretty much game for adventure anytime on a whim.  Jeff has been around through thick and thin...  He's one of our closest friends, the first person we met and befriended here in the east bay.  He's been our neighbor, honorary big brother and partner in a variety of debauchery.  His dog was even our dog's loyal bestest bud, guiding him when he couldn't see, keeping him company at bbq's and sharing his toys while little pug was still here with us.  Needless to say, I'm terribly fond of the guy and glad he's my travel companion for the upcoming excursion.  Fitting, in fact, that we're headed down to see another one of my dearest friends, Jackie.

The troublesome twosome.

When I was eighteen, I moved out of my parents house for the first time and in with my then boyfriend (the hubbs of course!) while he was attending UC Davis.  I'd never lived anywhere else in my life besides where I'd grown up, and I certainly wasn't used to having to make new friends.  Jackie was the first person to befriend me amongst a sea of college students, and from the moment we met, I knew we'd be close friends for life.  Once the hubbs graduated, we had our wedding in Mendocino and she was there by my side dressed in lavender.  We've quietly kept track of each other's lives as they've developed, changed and grown into comfortable, happy, successful existences.  She left the bay area a few years ago and I've missed her so.  It's been far too long since we've been together, so I am very much looking forward to spending time together, along with her lovely beau Andrew.

Ladyhugs.

Lucky for me, Jackie and Jeff get along like peas and carrots.  When you put the three of us in a room, there's bound to be excessive amounts of laughter, storytelling and rather intelligent conversations on all sorts of topics.  They both possess such unique dispositions- it's almost impossible to not have a great time together.  It's just what I need right now.  Friends, fun and feeling good inside.

What about the hubbs you ask?  The hubbs will be protecting the farm, pumping out some great writing, catching football games, training for his triathlon and looking after Jeff's dog while we're away.  I believe he has a whole agenda that the dog isn't aware of quite yet.  I can't wait to hear all about it as it unfolds.  (The dog is training for a triathlon this weekend as well.  Hope he likes running.)

And so friends, I shall disappear for a few days.  Hopefully we will eat at some tremendous places, meet some great people and enjoy our cheerful little getaway to sunny SoCal.  I can't wait to laugh...

Be back soon!
B          

No comments:

Post a Comment