Wednesday, June 19, 2013

A Spanish Exploration.



The hubbs and I are excited to embark on quite an adventure this upcoming week, to one of our favorite countries-- Spain.  We've both been blessed enough to have visited in previous years on vacation, spending time in Barcelona, Madrid and Seville, all which are fantastic in their own way.  (You can even follow hubbs on his 2011 adventures throughout the Kingdom of Navarra, Spain, as he sips, savors and catalogs the regions gorgeous wines- the lucky fella!)  This time around, our trip will be quite different... we will be experiencing Spain through the eyes of our gracious hosts, The Instituto de Fomento de la Región de Murcia.  Along with a handful of fellow authors, we will be eating, drinking and blogging our way through the Region of Murcia, an area in southeast of the Iberian Peninsula, known for it's vineyards, wineries, beautiful beaches and unique architecture.


We arrive Sunday, first in Madrid, then continuing on to Alicante, and finally reaching our destination in the city of Murcia just in time for lunch.  I am absolutely thrilled to be an active participant in this opportunity, especially knowing so little about the area and it's surrounding bounty.  This week, I've spent a ton of energy researching the various wineries we'll be visiting (approx. ten in 5 days), reading up on the landscape (dry, arid and hot) and trying to familiarize myself with the local culture.

As for our accomodations, we will be calling the NH Rincón de Pepe home for length of our stay...



"The NH Rincon de Pepe hotel in Murcia, Spain is a four-star establishment located in the city center, within short walking distance of tourist attractions, great shopping, and numerous restaurants and bars. Just a few blocks from the Segura River, the NH Rincon de Pepe hotel is 50 meters from the Castilian Gothic-style Murcia cathedral, and close to the bull-ring, stadium, university, and Calle de la Traperia pedestrian area."

Our days will be filled with activity, which we will both be diligently keeping track of-- I can imagine that there will be an overwhelming amount of photographs and information to come, but I can't wait to share our stories with you all.  On top of visiting the city of Murcia, we will also be participating in day trips, discovering wineries (and fine foods) in the appellations of Jumilla, Yecla and Bullas.  The agriculture of this particular region is supposedly spectacular, so I very much look forward to witnessing "Europe's orchard" in person.

As for right now, I've got to concentrate on my packing.  I've committed to carry-on only, so my skills are being stretched as far as I can manage for a week long journey.  My next two days are loaded with errands and loose ends to tie up before we head out, but the anticipation of the trip itself keeps a smile on my face and spring in my step.    


Stay tuned friends, Spain here we come!!
B      







1 comment:

  1. Looking forward to meeting you very soon-- It's going to be a great trip of exploration.
    And I'm totally impressed that you are going carry-on only! WOW!

    ReplyDelete