Thursday, October 25, 2012

Curry in a Hurry.


I've spoken about my love of spice for some time now, but I've never shared one of my favorite saucy recipes with you folks- I can't believe it!  I discovered this recipe a while ago and have been indulging at least once a month in it's curry goodness.  Now mind you, this is not an Indian curry- it's a very spicy yellow Thai curry that will singe your tongue off.  We love it, I'm sure you'll love it too.  I served it up the other night with some sauteed baby bok choi and stuffed jalapeno peppers, both of which are also easy to make in a flash.  You can buy bok choi at your local farmer's market, asian foods market or even Trader Joe's.  I simply stuffed the jalapeno's with an artisan low-fat cream cheese, sprinkled them with fresh ground pepper and popped them in the broiled until blistered.  The hubbs agreed, this meal is a monthly must...



*Spicy Yellow Thai Curry Beef*
1lb of top sirloin filet steaks
12 chilies (dried, soaked and chopped)
2 tsps ground coriander
1 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp black pepper
3/4 tsp turmeric
1/4 bunch cilantro
2 tsps minced garlic
1/4 cup shallot (chopped)
1 stalk lemongrass (chopped)
3/4 tsp salt
2 1/4 tsps fish sauce
1 1/2 tsps fresh lime juice
1 can coconut milk

I buy two 1/2 pound steaks and slice them in half, creating four slim, whole steaks.  Take a meat tenderizer and pound each steak until very thin.  Slice each steak in half lengthwise (8 strips total) and place in mixing bowl.

In food processor, combine all other ingredients until smooth. Pour over steaks and marinate for at least one hour.

Once steaks are marinated, drop steaks in large casserole dish and cover with sauce.  Place in 425 degree oven for 45 minutes.  The steaks will braise in the sauce the entire time.  Sauce will be think when removed from oven but will thick as it cools.  Sprinkle fresh cilantro on steaks and serve.  I love to lightly saute extra fresh sliced ginger and sprinkle it on top as well.


 
 
Just a warning:  there won't be any leftovers, so make plenty!
 
Enjoy,
B
 

No comments:

Post a Comment