Sunday, August 5, 2012

Low Carb Sunday.


Starting tomorrow, I will be back on my regular gym schedule- something I actually am looking forward to.  I miss running, light weights and bicycling- I've been stuck doing just yoga these past few weeks, which is centering and relaxing, but I long for my cardio.  Also starting this week, the hubbs and I have committed ourselves to give a different way of eating a try.  Our bodies need a break and it never hurts to experiment a little.  We will be cooking up all "low-carb" meals, which (surprise!) seem to be low-fat as well.  How I will miss my potatoes, pasta, breads, cheeses and beer.  My heart sinks a little.  But we've never attempted to do this, so if anything, maybe we'll learn a few tips and tricks to keep our bodies in check during this "low-carb" week- and much to the hubbs chagrin, he'll have to avoid his beloved pretzels and tortilla chips.  That in itself deserves an article *wink*.  I certainly would like to point out the emphasis on "low" and not "no" carb meals.  I realize that the body does need carbohydrates to survive and it is next to impossible to exist without them in your diet, so we're just cutting a few extras out to ensure solid, healthy everyday meals.  I'm looking forward to the challenge!  Here's what's on the menu tonight...

*Chicken Breasts with Zucchini Pappardelle* (Courtesy of Gourmet Magazine)
1 lb zucchini, trimmed
2 garlic cloves
4 boneless chicken breast halves
1 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp water
1 cup torn basil leaves



Slice zucchini as thin as possible and lengthwise and place in a large bowl.  Thinly slice garlic and reserve separately.



Pat chicken dry, then cut crosswise into thirds.  Season all over with 3/4 tsp of salt and 1/2 tsp of pepper.  Heat oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium high heat until it shimmers.  Saute chicken in batches, until browned and just cooked through, 8-14 minutes total.  Add chicken to zucchini. 



Add garlic to skillet to cook, stirring, until pale golden, about 1 minute.  Add water and scrape up any brown bits, then drizzle over chicken.  Add basil and 1/4 tsp of salt to bowl and toss until zucchini wilted slightly.  Season with salt and pepper. 

Per serving: Calories 303, total fat 17g, saturated fat 4g, cholesterol 93mg, sodium 685mg, carbohydrate 5g, fiber 1g, protein 32g.



Not bad, not bad at all.  I love sauteed chicken to begin with and I really enjoy any type of squash, so this was the perfect way to start off our week of "low-carb" meals.  I used baby zucchini from the farmers market and fresh-from-the-farm chicken breasts, so the overall result was simple, tasty and satisfying. 

For dessert- juicy, sweet white nectarines that we picked up today... Yum!!

Speaking of markets, man did we go nuts today at the Walnut Creek Farmer's Market.  The fruits and veggies are exploding- tomatoes, beets, dill, cilantro, parsley, mushrooms, onions, shallots, garlic, peppers, lettuce, pastured eggs, lemons and stone fruit.  Our arms were completely loaded.  Not to mention I went out first thing today and completely stocked my entire spice cabinet, so we're ready to spend the week cooking at home, fully prepped and good to go. 

Happy Sunday to all,
B

And remember, the WC Farmer's Market runs on Sundays from 9am-2pm, so check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment